Completion of the Certified Coding Specialist program from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) offers experienced medical coders a straightforward way to improve their professional standing and take their careers to the next level. In order to sit for the CCS exam, you must possess one of the following:
- Previous RHIA, RHIT or CCS-P certification
- CCA certification plus one year of professional experience
- Two years of direct professional medical coding experience
- Previous completion of courses in anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology and reimbursement methodology as well as both ICD and CPT coding
CCS certification demonstrates mastery of medical coding in a hospital-based setting. It is widely recognized and can open doors to advancement to management-level positions or other exciting career opportunities.
Keeping Your Certification Valid
Initial certification to CCS standards is valid only for a two-year period. Recertification requires completion of 20 credits of approved continuing education. This includes an annual coding self-review, which accounts for five credits each year. The remainder can be earned by completing approved CCS courses online or in person.
AHIMA CCS Courses
Lorman Education Services is proud to help expert medical coders perform to the highest standard of accuracy while keeping their CCS certification valid. We offer a number of ways to earn CCS credits online, including:
- Live webinars led by medical industry and insurance experts. Webinar training programs have been carefully developed to offer something of interest to healthcare professionals at all levels of their career. Attend from anywhere in the country, using any computer or mobile device — no special software or hardware is required.
- Self-study training through our OnDemand archive. OnDemand CCS courses include previously recorded webinars and slideshow presentations, technical manuals and more. Self-study courses can be streamed or downloaded at any time, so you can learn at your own pace without taking time away from your professional responsibilities.
Critical Insights That Help You Perform Better
Accuracy is essential in any hospital setting — coding errors can cause payment delays or other issues that cost your facility money and affect your professional reputation. Staying on top of the latest changes ICD-10 and CPT standards helps reduce the risk of error and ensures you continue to perform at the high level your employers demand.
Lorman Education Services' CCS courses help you keep your skills current by offering an in-depth look at important topics such as:• The Challenges of the Hybrid Medical Records… Its Impact on Clinical, Coding, and Fiscal Outcomes • The Ins and Outs of Separate and Distinct Services - Documentation and Coding • Introduction to New ICD-10 Coding: Preparing for Implementation
Browse our course catalog for more information or contact our customer response team directly with any questions.
The Affordable Way to Earn CCS Credits Online
For dedicated coding professionals, Lorman Education Services offers an annual All-Access Pass for the low fee of just $699. Take an unlimited number of CCS courses and other training programs for a whole year — you'll also receive a number of exclusive perks such as our monthly newsletter and course concierge service. Purchase yours and start exploring our extensive catalog of CCS courses today!